What's included in my test?
- Physician order. One of our physicians will review your information and write a prescription for your lab test.
- Nasal swab. A certified healthcare provider will administer a nasal swab. Choose between an in-home appointment and a visit to our convenient Melrose office location.
- Lab test. Your sample will be sent to one of our CLIA and FDA certified labs for testing.
- Results. You will receive your results via our secure client portal 1-3 days after your appointment. As with any medical test, you should discuss your results with your physician.
Is the COVID-19 PCR swab test right for me?
The PCR swab test is best if you believe that you have an active infection. An active COVID-19 infection is generally accompanied by symptoms such as these, although severity may vary widely:
- Chest Pain & DifficultyBreathing
The PCR swab test can only detect an active infection, and will not be able to determine whether you were previously exposed and are now showing indications of immunity. If you believe that you were previously exposed to COVID-19 but have since recovered, then our COVID-19 antibody test is a better fit for you.
Knowing is better than not knowing
Beyond concern for your own health and safety, confirming an infection can help you take key measures to reduce the spread of the virus, and minimize risk to loved ones. Testing also ensures scientists and public health experts the data that they need in order to identify areas of concern, and allocate resources to reduce the number of cases globally. Widespread testing will be crucial as we seek to move past this crisis while ensuring that our communities stay safe and healthy.
Which tests are offered through our partner labs?
Covid-19 Laboratory Developed PCR Test
Thermo Fisher and Ortho Clinical are listed on the FDA Emergency Use Authorization at the FDA website, under FAQs on Diagnostic Testing for SARS-CoV-2.
All swab tests have high sensitivity and high specificity.
SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Antibody, IgG and IgM Tests
Roche and BD are performing the SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, IgG and IgM Tests in combination. Below is some background information on this testing.
After infection with SARS-CoV-2, viral antigens stimulate the body’s immune system to produce antibodies. The virus incubation period and the days/weeks when the antibodies appear in the blood are defined below.
SARS-CoV-2 virus Antibodies, IgM and IgG
- IgM appears early in the blood circulation after an infection (as early as 3-5 days).
- IgG appears later in the blood circulation after an infection (within 3-4 weeks).
"The IgM and IgG tests are able to detect the antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2 virus and the kits have high specificity, sensitivity and clinical agreement with samples confirmed with PCR methods (RT-qPCR)".
The CLIA lab validated diagnostic tests being offered by this site are in accordance with the FDA’s Emergency Use Notification and Authorization process as provided in the FDA’s “Policy for Diagnostic Tests for Coronavirus Disease-2019 during the Public Health Emergency” (March 16, 2020) for laboratories certified under CLIA and FDA standards to perform high-complexity testing. Our test’s manufacturing lab has notified the FDA as required and has been listed on the FDA’s website accordingly and is pending FDA authorization.